Evolution of a Plus Size Black Goth: May 2018-May 2019

This past year has a been a pretty big one for me and my alternative growth! I got my first job exactly one year ago (April 29, 2018) and started actually being able to buy more clothes, accessories and makeup I've wanted to fit my outrageous style. Let's see how much I've grown in the past year by posting my favorite outfits each month (or my favorite pieces if I didn't do an OOTD--happens sometimes, y'know)


May 2018
This is me working with the couple of pieces I'd collected over the years and some DIY magic. The most recently thing I bought, I believe... were the shoe wings. The only thing about this that isn't thrifted, really really cheap (like, from Wish), or DIYed is the romper and I even got that on sale.

Not that that's bad, it's actually quite amazing the things I could do with what little I had at the time. I'm just super glad that making these types of outfits is no longer a struggle.

June 2018
Alright, so your girl's starting to build up her collection a bit, now! This was right after I decided to buy a couple pieces from Hot Topic and my first pair of Dollskill platform sandals. Everything in this outfit was a new purchase except for my suspender clips, my choker, and bat necklace.

July 2018
This one was simple and quick. The only thing in this outfit that was new was the chain necklace--something I bought from Wish. Looks like I brought back an oldie but goodie to pair with my new mesh top--the skeleton camisole (something I made back in 2013 for Halloween)

August 2018
Okay if you guys read my first Goth Evolution blog post you'd know this was my favorite outfit out of all of 2018. Not just because of the milestones I had achieved to get to this outfit but because the outfit itself just fit my style so well. Like, I love that semi-witchy feminine goth style I went for in May, but this right here... this is my jam. A little nerdy, a little urban/sporty, pushing closer to a more tomboy feel while still dark and spooky. This outfit started my journey to a goth that I'm most comfortable in.

September 2018
So, September was one of those months I mentioned where I didn't do an OOTD. Buuuut I did get this piece, something I've been wanting to buy for ages: a floral crown with sheep/goat horns. I bought it for Halloween but, of course, I'd rock this on any day I feel like it.

October 2018
And speaking of Halloween... here's my costume. Nothing too interesting happening on the bottom, just some black leggings and my schmoc schmartins (what I call my first pair of work boots lol). October was another month I didn't really do an OOTD. Was probably too occupied with this costume, tbh.

November 2018
 
I didn't do an OOTD at all this month! (Let me guess... cooling down from the Halloween excitement? Most likely, yes) I did get these Doc-offs from Wish, though. Look at me, meeting grunge milestones even though I'm not really grunge anymore. Luckily: docs still fit goth styles too.

December 2018
Don't worry though because Black Friday hit and when that happened... ooooohhhhh boiiii. This is the outfit I wore on my birthday btw!

January 2019
Colder weather meant I could really start leaning into my top-heavy outfit obsession. Also: picked up that cute bat headband from Yesstyle and paired with the clip-in horns for a dark, creepy-cute type feel. 

February 2019
February was filled with lots of new pieces, like my first pair of tall platform boots!!!! OMFG I've wanted a pair of boots like this for aaaaages. This was part of the aftermath of my Black Friday spending (it was like... residual spending fever). Among these I also bought my first Killstar purchase--a hat and some socks. At least another big part of this spending spree included some DIY fodder for future goth DIY projects! Funnily enough, though, no OOTDs this month.

March 2019
 
And helloooo to the first installment of: I try to incorporate color back into my style. I'd bought this Sailor Mars shirt from Hot Topic a while back and never got to wear it because I felt I had to be all black all the time. But I started toying with the idea of adding some of my favorite colors into my outfits to mix it up a bit and still wear some old favs that have been collecting dust. I felt... so bright in this. So bright. 

Lately, I've been trying to find some lavender/periwinkle things to add to my wardrobe as well (because that's my favorite color/s) so I feel myself starting to get into the whole pastel goth thing I sort of dabbled in a while back. 
 Like, I bought this hat, for example, and plan to use it whenever I'm feeling like adding just a bit of color to my OOTDs. And this is a feeling I just get once in a while, not very often. I feel like my all-black look is definitely the thing I feel the most comfortable with (I get to hide in the shadows like a ninja--what more can a girl with social anxiety ask for?), but there are just some days where I'm just like... I miss wearing my favorite color or... man this shirt has some red in it, I wish I had something else red to add to my outfit or... I love this outfit but I want to put a little twist on it, y'know?
April 2019
This is starting to become one of my favorite outfits of this year so far. And it's so, so simple, y'all. Isn't that crazy? I wore this out to see the screening of Avengers the day before it came out (I work at a movie theater) and it was meant to be like an easy, comfortable almost lounge-y type outfit. But it still ended up becoming one of my favorites. Maybe it's because I actually put a little thought in coordinating the white in the hat with the white choker, the white on the shirt, and the white in the shoes and then tied it together with the fishnet shirt and stockings? It's just so beautifully tomboy-harajuku-emo-goth and was soooo comfortable at the same time.
Gotta give this little makeup look a shout out. I didn't go out with it on but it was heckin fun to do.
Also, my crowning achievement of this year: to celebrate my first year of working, I splurged on a pair of boots I'd been eyeing on Killstar for a while. And I did a baby OOTD just to do it some proper justice. I did not want to take those boots off, man.

And lastly
May 2019 
May was a very very very eventful month as far as OOTDs go so I actually had a very hard time choosing between...
These two:
So I'm going to give an honorable mention to the right one because I'm definitely leaning more to the left. The right one was revolved around japanese, occult, cats, and bats. It was *a lot* I wore a cat ear hat with a luna moon (from sailor moon) in the center, a bat backpack, a bat necklace, a cat skull necklace, a pair of shorts with a cat patch that has an inverted pentagram on the forehead, bat shoe wings, a choker with a cat bell on it, a shirt with an oni on it (and japanese text), mismatch length fishnets, a spiky garter under my knee and another garter on my thigh, and pentagram earrings. Like I said *a lot*--I think that's why I'm actually choosing the other as my favorite. I love detail but I always end up loving simplicity more.
So the winner of May is:
And I think one of the main things that make me like this more is actually the fact that I got to wear my denim jacket and not burst into flames. It was a cold-ish rainy day so I could! But this is the first time I'd worn that MCR shirt out in a while because (and I don't know if you can tell) it started falling apart pretty quickly. Then I realized... hm... that's punk rock as hell though and decided to revive it.


Popular Posts